News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Dell Inspiron 15-7537 Notebook

Started by Redaktion, November 04, 2013, 06:26:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Jana

I've just bought this laptop and I like it a lot. I was very picky, I was looking for a lightweight desktop replacement laptop for graphic design (I am always on the road so external monitors are not an option for me), preferably with a touchscreen. Previously I had Vaio S15 which was just perfect but it died only one year after the purchase and they weren't able to repair it :( They gave me a full refund (1000EUR) so I went looking for a replacement around the same price range. I bought and returned 4 other laptops before trying out this Inspiron, which I will keep. I got it for 1000 EUR.

Primarily, I was looking for a good IPS panel. This Inspiron is not advertised in shops as IPS so it wasn't on my radar from the beginning. There is a discussion in online forums about the screen type and people report having different models. I am happy to say that mine has the same panel as reviewed on this website - the LG IPS. It was purchased in the Czech Republic. I think the colours will need a little calibration but in general they are excelent - definitely among the best you can find in the 15 inch laptop category. I compared it with my friend's MacBook and it is similar in brightness and quality (of course different number of pixels, but I didn't want a Retina anyway, below I will explain why).

The design of this laptop is similar to MacBook, it looks very stylish. It is very thin and its shape somehow eliminates the fact that is is a bit heavy for an ultrabook (2,6kg) - I was hesitant about the weight but I don't mind it at all, it just doesn't feel heavy. The case is very solid and nice to touch, and unlike most other laptops it doesn't catch fingerprints on the lid.

The computer is surprisingly quiet and even if the fan goes on, it is not disturbing at all - no high pitched sounds like in some of the laptops I tested. This was my big worry because the other computers I tried were very noisy even during browsing or youtube. The temperature is also fine - it gets a bit hotter if you work in bed and the air conductor at the bottom is covered - but it is not a big problem, you can still use it.

My configuration has the i7 processor, 16GB ram, NVIDIA graphics, 1TB 5,4 hdd with a small SSD cache, and Win 8.1. The HDD is slowing the machine down considerably. I will replace it with a 1TB SSD tomorrow because 5400 HDDs are a disaster (I had a 7200rps in my Vaio and it was much better)... I was going to buy an SSD for whatever computer I get, so I am not doing it particularly because this Dell would be slower than others - they are all slow. I found out in forums that the Samsung SSD Pro series doesn't work well in this laptop so I will go for the Evo line, which is available here for some 400 EUR for 1TB (I have a lot of data that I access often and I hate having to carry external hard drives around all the time).

Some people report issues with wifi on this laptop. I haven't had any such problems. My signal is as strong as in all previous computers and it is stable. I haven't updated any drivers - it works in the factory settings.

Just for comparison, I want to report on the other laptops i tried in last 3 months, what I didn't like on them and why I ended up with this Dell. Just very briefly - I may write a longer article about all of them later, and if I do, I will post a link here.

Acer V7 - this was a quick emergency purchase when my Vaio died and I still hoped they would fix it in a week. The IPS panel was good but the white colour seemed a bit red-ish. I didn't try to calibrate it because I would return it anyway - it was too loud even during casual work like browsing many websites at once and playing videos. I was also afraid of staying with the brand since it doesn't have a good name here... although I understand that the quality my have gone up in the last few years.

Sony Vaio Flip 15 - it has a great IPS panel, probably best of all I tested. Very good brightness and colours. It also has a pressure-sensitive stylus support. However, the computer is quite loud (annoying sound) and the problem stays even after applying the bios update that is supposed to fix it. The shape of the case is not good, it has many sharp metal edges and is not comfortable to work on in bed - it cuts into your belly. But I returned it mainly because I couldn't live without the num-pad (I thought I would try, but it was too annoying, so I added it back to my must-have features).

Toshiba Satellite P50T - it's the first 4K resolution laptop. The resolution is wonderful for work with vectors and fonts and I am still getting used to be back on FHD which now looks pixelated to me... however the world is not yet ready for 4K laptops. Half Adobe programs can't adapt their interface to the DPI, so if you wanna cut videos in Premiere you have to switch to FHD resolution. And try to design standard sizes web banners on it... It's just not good for pixel-perfect graphic work, and also, it has to magnify images in websites so they all get blurry. The screen has some anti-glare coating that makes the screen "glitter" and the white is just not white, it looks noisy. I havent seen this effect on any laptops other than Toshibas (one of my previous had it too but it was possible to take the foil off - here you cant because its below the gorilla glass). The brightness of the screen is very low. Rendering everything to 4K consumes so much power and the computer is ALWAYS hot and renders things very slowly despite having a high voltage CPU (for example, browsing photos in fullscreen mode in lightroom = 5sec delay to load the next photo). The case feels plastic and bulky. On top of all that, the fan is located on the right side, just where your mouse is, and it blows hot air on your hand all the time. The highlight was the keyboard which I loved most of all I tested, but that's not enough of a reason to have a 1400EUR laptop, right? :)

I also shortly tested the new Asus Flip TP500 hoping that the 15 inch model might have an IPS screen like the 13 inch one. There was some missleading information about this online. Well, it doesn't have an IPS, it has a TN panel that some people call good, but I hated it, it made my eyes sore in 30 minutes and I returned it the morning after. The case is really good, though, it looks stylish, sturdy and it is very light... it's a pitty that they screwed up the screen because all other things on that computer are great.

So, that's how I got to own and love this Dell :) I hope this may help someone choose their computer and cut off few days of online research.

Haider Rizvi

i have the core i5 nvidia non touch screen version of this notebook....its pretty amazing...i havnt experienced any issues with wifi yet...if i had to nitpick, there is a slight hissing sound when u connect headphones..but its only audible when u arent playing anything...probably has something to do with the sound card...

tdas777

I purchased this one in Feb 2014.

From beginning, i noticed flaw in display like backlight bleeding, ghosting and gradient banding and minor glitch with wifi.

Dell support replaced the display, after describing the issues; I appreciate dell for that.

But the 2nd display also has backlight bleeding (more than previous one), ghosting and gradient banding.
Display images - http://1drv.ms/1wkOZaL

Both the displays are LG Phillips 156WF4  [DELL P/N: 890N5] [ID: LGD040E]

And now wifi reception is more fluctuating than earlier.

Zlad

WiFi problem solved!!
All you need is uninstall Intel/Dell driver for Wifi card. I got back to the default driver (Microsoft driver v 16.x.x.x) and it works perfect. No network dropping! Hope it will work for you as well. Cya

Hildegarde53843

Hey :), hier möchte ich meine Gedanken über dieses Problem mit euch zu teilen.
So habe ich heruntergeladen und die Treiber installiert sind:
1. Laden Sie DriverTuner Program an: http://www.official-drivers.com/;
2. Starten Sie DriverTuner und klicken Sie auf "Start Scan" -Taste wird DriverTuner Ihren Computer zu scannen und finden Sie alle Windows-Treiber. Dann empfehlen Sie die neuesten Windows-Treiber.
3. Klicken Sie auf die Schaltfläche "Download", wird DriverTuner alle verpasst Windows-Treiber für Sie zu installieren.
Hoffe, dass dies für euch zu arbeiten.

Robert Wisdom

There is an additional msata slot on the USB daughter board of some people's 7537s. Mine doesn't have one, but some lucky folks have one (and probably don't know it. Look up "open me up dell 7537" on youtube. You'll see it there.

Dellvictim1

Dell Laptop Inspiron 15 7000 series 7537 is a big scam! They come in broken like mine did. Even when it came straight from the box, the laptop stickers in the back were ripped and scratched. This tells me that it was used before! I bought this brand new!!!!!

The webcam was broken upon opening. Even with warranty, Dell forced me to pay $345 no joke for one webcam. They sent it back to me with a broken keyboard. The webcam and audio on this laptop is really below average quality. Webcam is really blurry and audio is really bad. I can provide evidence and video I can provide evidence and video of Dell scamming me out of my money and then breaking my keyboard! Dell customer service are outsourced Indians who don't speak English properly, and are designed to leave you frustrated and purposely waste your time so you don't pursue the matter.

Overall this laptop is filled with too much bloatware that slows down the computing. It is always lagging and crashing because the Disk is always at 100%. Also upon closing the lid, the aluminum case is not leveled properly and breaks. It easily opens more broken or mended from the slightest banged....

The laptop battery life is misleading and fraudulently stated. Again I have proof. It is advertised to be 11 hours, but it can't even live 1 hour before dying! I have pictures of the battery life.

Also it doesn't charge so easily. It doesn't fully power on and off that well. Even closing the lid will put the laptop in a non existent sleep/hibernation mode that isn't shut down. Even when I changed the setting for the power button, nothing really changes.

The battery also has a lot of issues even though the laptop was new. Sometimes the battery would die in its sleep or shut down mode. The bottom would get overheated when after I charged it to 100% and shut it down through the Windows menu. It would overheat, and when I press the power button it doesn't work. When I plugged it in, it shows me that the battery is empty! So the battery died even though the laptop was turned off!

I highly recommend people to not buy Dell because of how much they like to scam people!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview