News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Dell Precision M4800 Notebook

Started by Redaktion, October 25, 2013, 08:01:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Setting standards. Dell's former Precision M4700 maintained its top position in our workstation ranking for a year. Now its successor is available and faces extremely high expectations. We exhaustively tested whether it really can live up to them.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Precision-M4800-Notebook.104416.0.html

Stefan

$4,000 and it doesn't have 5GHz WiFi? This must be some sort of mistake.

Pat

Can you please add internal [CPU, GPU at least] temperatures during a stress test taxing heavily both CPU and GPU with Prime and FurMark?
And noise levels during loads like demanding games, 3Dmark?

You tend to omit this information in "workstation" notebooks' reviews and it's not true that they are always cool and quite. It would be interesting to see how they do with Haswells and high end GPUs especially.

oversky

Nice review. Thank you.
I have two questions:

1. Does this southbridge version still have the USB 3.0 bug?
2. Can you confirm with Dell that HD 4600 is enabled with a HD display?

Rodney

Is Optimus fully disabled with the display or is that only when running in QHD resolution? The battery life is a little disappointing-- I'd have thought the combination of Optimus, Haswell, IGZO, SSD, good cooling, and large battery (which I assume is what adds the .7 lbs to the weight Dell is quoting) would push this guy much further. I guess can always bump down from the 55W K2100M to the 45W K1100M for graphics at least. :/ What other options are there?

Mada

Could I upgrade my M4700 to M4800? replacing the main board, processor and probabily video card? but I dont think this is the only model, they need to have another GPU as well no? even my firepro m4000 beats this k2100. How could I find videocards for this king of laptop?

Stuart Brown

Have bought an M6800 and M4800. Both good but prefer M4800. As a previous Dell M6600 and M6400 the speed and low temps on both new machines are a welcome improvement. Only thing I do not like is M6800 is not as quick as anticipated and screen on M4800 seems difficult to art up with decent size type. Buy one!

LJ

Trying to decide b/w this and the thinner brother, M3800. Notebookcheck, are you guys going to do a review any time soon? Thanks! Love the site btw

vincentfr44

Hello, I want to know if the QHD+ screen can do 1920x1080 ? and if it's look good.

Andrea

Precision m4800 bought directly from DELL site, with full configuration.

On first time, it works for two days with no CPU load.

The notebook now is broken, DELL on site Pro support business assistance don't know where is the problem.

At now after 3 week and 3200 Euro spent i can't utilize it and i don't know when it shall be possible.

Be aware, DELL is not a good solution for you.

andrew

I bought one copy of this (DELL PRECISION M4800)  item but after few week video card breaks.

Assistance of DELL is completely inexistent.

DON'T trust of DELL. DON'T trust of DELL. DON'T trust of DELL.

armin tey

if I get a base model of m4800 with 8G of RAM, can I make it 16G later? because the website does not let me to customize the m4800 series unlike the m4700s, their options for 16G memory on m4800 are really expensive and my budget only fits the base model with 8G of RAM, other specs of it are perfect for me except the memory. thanks

Micha

You can add two more memory cards in the back side of the m4800, mine came with 8Gb which are installed under the keyboard, so there another two empty memory bays on the backside, I added 16 GB on the back and got total of 24 GB in the machine without needing to take out the 8GB which came with the PC.

drakkan

Hi,

several users reported lockup and freeze problems:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/391875-new-dell-precision-m4800-few-probs-should-i-send-back

did you experinced the same during your tests? Is there some 4800 owner with a fully working laptop?

thanks
Nicola

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview