News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Aorus X7 DT v6 Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, November 22, 2016, 18:51:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Boundless performance. Gigabyte has taken the design of their AORUS gaming notebook to the next level with the advent of the X7 DT v6. With class-leading GPU and CPU performance, speedy solid-state storage, and powerful networking and display options, can anything slow it down?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Aorus-X7-DT-v6-Notebook-Review.183986.0.html

TareX

Finally. Thanks for the comprehensive review. A little concerned about the horizontal lines issue, since I do a lot of web browsing on dark pages (mainly reddit), while gaming will be mostly output to my 55" TV... Looking forward to your Razer Blade Pro review, before dropping my $$$ on one of them next month. If the 6700hk isn't that much weaker, I might go for the Razer Blade Pro, mainly for the 100% RGB screen and mechanical keyboard.

Nicolas

Hi, thanks for the complet review. On the website Aorus the thickness of the X7 DT v6 is 25,4 mm and not 30. You confirm this thickness?

Steve Schardein

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading and for the feedback!  The horizontal lines absolutely bothered me at first, but to be honest, over time, I grew accustomed to them and I believe I appreciated the quality of the refresh rate and response times more so than I was bothered by the lines.

As for the thickness of the notebook, it can be a bit of a tough figure to collect sometimes. I measured at the back of the notebook (the thickest point) -- and it certainly appears to be closer to 30 mm than 25. The notebook features a chiseled design which trends upward from the far corners, and perhaps that is where the other figures come from.

Steve

Jeff

I have this machine, and though it's mostly a great machine, the interlacing on the screen is very very bad, and drives me crazy. I'm considering returning it simply for that reason alone. Speakers are pretty crappy too compared to my older lenovo z710 that's about the same size, but I can live with that. AUO has admitted to a fault in their manufacturing that they are fixing, but who knows how long that will take, and if Aorus will replace panels in existing machines.

Nils Nilsson

So, about the screen, if you want to use this laptop for productivity work, like software development, would the screen and striping then be a deal breaker?

Steve Schardein

Hey there Nils,

Honestly, I feel it is a purely subjective matter. Yes, it is noticeable -- and bothersome -- on static screens.  Small text such as that in coding applications probably would exacerbate that -- though video editing, perhaps not so much, thanks in part to the degree of motion involved. To some extent I feel as though the user may adjust to the interlacing mentally somewhat over time. At least, it seems as though I did throughout the course of my ~1.5 weeks with the machine.

I hope this helps. In truth, the only real answer is to see it for yourself and determine how much it actually bothers you. So much else about this machine is positive that it is quite worth the trouble.

Steve

Nils Nilsson

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

One thing that has me a bit curious, other tests of the DT version seem to have found that it offered very little performance gains over the X7 V6 due to throttling/thermal limitations/power limitations.  In your review, it seems like this was not the case. Not having an opinion on this myself, could you perhaps share some light on this?

Steve Schardein

Truly, I don't have a clue as I didn't ever spend time with any other configurations.  The numbers speak for themselves -- this is a very powerful machine.  Perhaps other reviewers didn't properly set the overclocking options or fan speed settings?  Maybe GPU driver inconsistencies?  Thermal paste problems?  ;-)

Steve

Nils Nilsson

Thanks for your comments Steve.

Are there any drawbacks for the DT version compared to the normal V6 that you would think of (besides price of course). Is the DT more "power hungry" than the plain V6 in normal "office use" and thus require higher fan speeds etc compared to the 1070 in the V6? If used as a productivity machine, fan noise is quite important, especially in a shared office space. 

Nils Nilsson

Hi,

Shouldn't this laptop be on the top 10 list for gaming laptops as it beats most of them?

Khurram Waziri

Thank you for the detailed review.

What do you say about the 230W power supply? Isn't it insufficient for the laptop's power needs? Did you during your review and general time with laptop notice throttling? Most other manufacturers include 330W brick with 1080GTX and for good reason.

Lastly, you think hooking up a 330W power brick be any beneficial?

Khurram

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview