News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware 13 (GTX 960M) Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, May 26, 2015, 07:23:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Power Spike. Dell offers updated components for the Alienware 13. Let us find out if the Core i7-5500U and the GeForce GTX 960M are worth the investment.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-13-GTX-960M-Notebook-Review.142854.0.html

Rubbish CPU

Yeah, like you say the CPU is not up to task for a gaming notebook, not even with the midrange 960M  GPU.  This CPU bottleneck then just gets even worse when you hook up the Graphics Amplifier and use a desktop card - makes the whole feature of the Graphics Amplifier laughable when used with this Alienware 13 - I really don't know what the Dell engineers were thinking - not using a 4 core i7 CPU was a glaring oversight.  Better options out there for small thin & light laptop gaming.

Kikimaru

I bought one of these with the TN-HD panel early this year (when they still were i7-5500u / GTX860m), so far it's worked out decently.
The TN panel is rubbish of course, but the machine is great if you're an occasional/casual gamer and value quiet & cool operation with decent battery life.
For instance, playing 2D games I have had 4-5-hour play sessions before needing to plug in.

Vlad Bieg

Thank you for good review. It is however missing "the big picture": the reason there are many somewhat similar notebooks on the market is simple: individual needs of customers are different. It all depends what your priorities are, and what compromises you are prepared to accept.

If someone looks for the most powerful 13-14in gaming machine as current technology allows: Razer Blade wins... and compromises on price, noise, heat emission. If someone is prepared to severely compromise gaming power when travelling, but wants very powerful stationary gaming machine: MSI GS30 wins. If someone does not mind single cooling fan for CPU and GPU with untidy, common piping, lesser build quality and larger plastic case: Clevo W230SD/SS (AKA Schenker) is very good alternative. None of them is bad, each of them reflects a set of different engineering compromises.

I bought Alienware 13 a few weeks ago, and I am very happy with my choice. I was not prepared to compromise on: build quality, tidiness of internal design, low emissions (noise and heat), LCD panel quality screen. Additionally I wanted solid mid-range gaming power when travelling, with option to increase it a bit when stationary. To achieve all that I was prepared to compromise and accept two core CPU. The Alienware 13 addressed my needs perfectly, and (contrary to what someone wrote): I see no alternative product: other "alternatives" for me are no alternatives: they are noisier and run hot, are more expensive, or do not offer stationary graphics amplifier (even if the Alienware solution is not fully optimised).

As a design engineer I am fully aware that every design is a compromise, and every person would find some compromises acceptable, and some not. At the same time there always will be people who want a notebook to be the most powerful gaming machine available with negligible noise and heat emissions, mounted in a solid, milled block of aluminium, with rigid lid and chassis -- and at the same time small, thin, light, inexpensive. Is it possible? No.

Noah

Name one other notebook in this form factor size with that long of a battery life?  The main point of a laptop is to have portability.  I don't care that it does not have the top performance of them all.  It has the BEST battery life.  Laptop makers, stop making things so small and so thin, give me a battery life that will last for ever and I will love you.  11 hours is REALLY impressive for a gaming laptop.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview