News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HDD or SSD for DELL PRECISION 6700

Started by Damodar, June 18, 2013, 15:39:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Damodar

What would be the advantage and disadvantage of using a HDD of 7200 rpm, 750 GB instead of a 512 GB SSD in a DELL PRECISION 6700 for running all Autodesk, Engineering, Film Editing, Rendering, 3D VFX applications, with the following configuration.
i7 3940 XM, 16 GB 1866 mhz RAM, 4 GB NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 17" FHD screen ???

Hræsvelgr

HDD is much slower, then SSD.
There are lots of disatvanteges for a hdd (temperature, vibration...)

On an SSD you should a have look on writing processes, cause the transistors have a phyically limited life of writings. reading is no problem but the writing is limiting the lifetime.
But for example samsung gives up to 5 years warranty. So this period shouldnt be a problem with normal using.
Acer TravelMate 5720 | T9300 | HD2600 | 3GB DDR2 600mhz | 320GB HDD | BD-Player
Bj 04/2008
läuft wie am ersten Tag, ergonomische Tastatur - Dank an Acer!

Schenker XMG P722 | i7-3820QM | GTX680M | 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | BD-Player
Bj 10/2012
Schön verpackte Endlospower

Damodar

Thanks. But what is important is to find out the compatibility of the data processing input / output of the processor, ram and graphics card with that of the HDD. If read / write speed of the HDD 750 GB / 7200 rpm is slower then because of compatibility issues the processor, ram, graphics card might have to be downgraded.
Won't there be any piling / buffering and thus error in data processing in some demanding applications of Maya, Catia, Autodesk Suites or other high-end engineering graphics applications ???

Hræsvelgr

in most cases today, the harddrive is the bottleneck.
You can see at the os-boot. It doesnt matter, if you use an i3 oder i7 extreme, if there's an hdd, where its installed on. Cause the readings are so slow.

But i dont have experience, how much does it change in maya and other graphic rendering programms. But if they have to load an write a lot, the ssd could help a lot

i dont believe, that processor and so on have to be downgraded.. there workingspeed is just throttled by the hdd. So they cant use the hole power.. but the processing on its own depends on ram, processor... not every little step get written on hdd... its the task of ram and processor-cache
Acer TravelMate 5720 | T9300 | HD2600 | 3GB DDR2 600mhz | 320GB HDD | BD-Player
Bj 04/2008
läuft wie am ersten Tag, ergonomische Tastatur - Dank an Acer!

Schenker XMG P722 | i7-3820QM | GTX680M | 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | BD-Player
Bj 10/2012
Schön verpackte Endlospower

Dell Advisor

The Applications are designed to wait data to be loaded from disk and then process them. So Typically data is loaded in memory from disk which is much faster than SSD and then processed by CPU.

I don't think that there would be any compatibility issue.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview