News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review AMD A6-1450 APU "Temash"

Started by Redaktion, May 14, 2013, 16:47:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It's our hope. More than 2.5 years after "Bobcat", AMD launch the successor of its successful low voltage architecture. The new APUs called "Kabini" and "Temash" are designed for notebooks as well as tablets. We review the A6-1450 quad core model.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-AMD-A6-1450-APU-Temash.92264.0.html

J Devine

Thanks for the interesting and timely review. However, I think it misses some of the more interesting angles to the story. First, according to at least one other review, the APU can overclock to 1.4 on a consistent basis and with all cores in operation. Second, on a clock for clock basis the cpu performs about as well as a intel sandy bridge low voltage processor –albeit a low end two core processor. Therefore, if this processor can actually run consistently at 1.4, then it looks like a pretty good match for intel's low end core-i 3 processors. This is something AMD has not been able to credibly claim in the past, although they have tried. Third, if this processor can compete, clock for clock, at the low end, what can we expect from the Kabini APUs at higher clock speeds? This is the big question. Can AMD turn-out processors with the same architecture running at 2.5-3.0ghz within a reasonable power envelope? If so, then AMD may finally be back in the game.

kevin2828

typo: "It seems that the power consumption of the CPU is significantly higher." GPU != CPU

Till Schönborn

Hello,

regarding your clock-for-clock comparison: Yes, a 4-core Kabini/Temash is on the same level as a 2-core Sandy Bridge with Hyper-Threading. But: Per-thread-performance is at least as important in this class, and here Jaguar is clearly behind. However, compared to current Intel Atom chips, the per-thread-performance is considerably faster.
Overall, the A6-1450 is an appropiate competitor to the Pentium ULV.

Regarding the Acer notebook:
The Aspire V5-122P doesn't feature "Turbo Dock", therefore you will see the 1.4 GHz only in single-thread-tasks. Multi-threaded, the clock rates will be slower (TDP limit?), as mentioned in our test. As far as we know, there is no (offical) possiblity to achieve higher clocks.

Regading clock rates:
According recent rumors, the fastest models will clock at about 2.0 GHz.

Till Schönborn

Quote from: kevin2828 on May 16, 2013, 16:11:55
typo: "It seems that the power consumption of the CPU is significantly higher." GPU != CPU

Thanks, this will be fixed.

kirilmatt

Based on this a 2Ghz kabini should perform about on par with a 1.8Ghz i3(i5 maybe?) ULV CPU, that would be insanely impressive! Just imagine what kaveri will acheve later this year!

andrei

we cant compare a 44 dolar apu to a i3 who costs 225 dolar and said the intel cpu is better. finally some netbook cpu with good perfomance, he complety crushs intel atom and have a lot better gpu than pentium ulv or pentium 35w or celeron, and costs less

Ashari

AT CES 2013 we could see a Temash prototype tablet playing smoothly DiRT Showdown at 1080p but in your review it manages only 15.9 fps at 1024x768 Ultra Low settings, That doesn't look right!?!?

earl

you guys need to review this again, doesn't seem fair to display the soc with lousy hardware and claim its the apus fault(if we are going by the title) swapping out to a ssd, using an external monitor, turning off all though extra features(wifi, touchscreen, wifi, BT) and use usb adapters. also a fresh install of windows(preferably 7) and the latest drivers!

earl

Till Schönborn

Quote from: Ashari on May 17, 2013, 16:20:57
AT CES 2013 we could see a Temash prototype tablet playing smoothly DiRT Showdown at 1080p but in your review it manages only 15.9 fps at 1024x768 Ultra Low settings, That doesn't look right!?!?

Yes, this is a bit strange. But: Our Showdown benchmark is quite challenging, and the demonstration at the CES could have been with another (faster) APU model.

The Aspire V5-122P seems to doesn't support Turbo Dock, therefore the CPU clock rate doesn't exceed 1.0 - 1.1 GHz in games. The fps rates would not be significantly faster using a SSD, a self-installed Windows and so on. We should see a noticably better performance with higher clocked Kabinis.

mangatron

I have been thinking, maybe the CES Temash prototype had dual-channel RAM. I know for a fact AMD APU graphics benefit greatly from dual-channel RAM., so maybe that is a factor in this Acer notebook.

Till Schönborn

Hello,

Kabini/Temash doen't support Dual-Channel!

Truth

Need a manufacturer to take this AMD APU and stuff it in a 7 or 8 inch Windows 8 Tablet!  Now THAT would be amazing!  Crysis 3 able to load on something the size of a Nexus 7!

John S

I have this Acer notebook and I have to say the worst thing about it is Windows 8 and the dreadful Elan Touchpad. Otherwise I think for everyday use the slow Quad with decent graphics does well enough for most users of this caliber of notebook. Obviously gamer's should not consider but who would if your in to gaming? My only question is why Quad when most apps still do not take advantage of it? Also, AMD would have done itself a favor by defaulting speed to 1.4ghz max in Performance power setting.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview