News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Microsoft Surface RT Tablet

Started by Redaktion, November 20, 2012, 09:29:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

PC? Tablet? A Different Approach. Microsoft calls its long-awaited tablet Surface a PC: the first PC from Redmond. We extensively tested the tablet and Windows 8 RT and found that this device truly is a PC, and a very exciting one at that.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Microsoft-Surface-RT-Tablet.84253.0.html

Japp

"The new Angry Birds is a lot of fun on the Surface", when the picture shows Cut the Rope.

Warjan

I'd like to know what does "and will be able to run any application" in the Verdict paragraph means. I hope you didn't confuse Windows RT with Windows 8? The former can't run any desktop software right now. Except for MS Office.

Han Torso

I hope Apple never changes the iPad to a 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll never understand optimizing a tablet for watching videos at the expense of almost everything else.

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: Warjan on November 20, 2012, 15:50:34
I'd like to know what does "and will be able to run any application" in the Verdict paragraph means. I hope you didn't confuse Windows RT with Windows 8? The former can't run any desktop software right now. Except for MS Office.

The original reviewer meant to say that the Surface is a good option for every application fit for tablets, not that it has the ability to run every application. The original sentence was lost in translation and will be updated.

moSurface

What problem does the Surface solve ?
To put it another way, a solution looking for a problem ?

MikeI

The first thing I do with any PC is to install my "gotta have" programs: Avast antivirus and Google Chrome. I just don't have a good feel from your review on that and using Explorer is not a substitution for me. Looks like the "R" is a closed system -- a flashback to the original IBM PC.

Binh

"A huge advantage of the Microsoft Surface is the 16:9 picture format which allows the tablet to present movies without distracting black borders"
IMO, this is a huge DISADVANTAGE. This 16:9 is very, very bad for internet browser, business programs, etc. And very bad for portrait mode. 4:3 or 16:10 is much better.

JDC

In this review it is stated that "The good performance of the Nvidia Tegra 3 CPU with the integrated GeForce ULP graphics chip is noticeable here' whereas in Tablets running full Windows 8 (like Dell Latitude 10) one reads : "The tablet is not really well suited for multimedia tasks" and"The Atom SoC does not have a lot of power to spare - so as far as PC games are concerned, our expectations are low. We tried Starcraft 2 and recorded a paltry 11 frames per second - even with the resolution and details set to their lowest levels. The tablet is only suitable for "casual gaming" - games like Solitaire, Minesweeper, and others.".

Does this mean that the Windows RT machines have better graphic engines and are able to play 'more' games from the store ?

erixx

There is NO need for HD out video ADAPTERS just a mini HDMI to our TV or monitor.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview