News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Asus G46VW Notebook

Started by Redaktion, December 31, 2012, 08:42:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Nvidia GTX for a subnotebook. The first ever 14-inch Republic of Gamers has been causing quite the stir for its high-end GTX 660M GPU that automatically propels it to the head of its size class in terms of graphical power. For $999, has Asus cut any corners on their introductory G46VW model?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G46VW-Notebook.86486.0.html

ilikepie

Hi NotebookReview,

I am grateful for this review as I was very close to buying this model. Instead I shall await the 1600x900 version.

My concern is the non-user replaceable batteryDo ASUS expect me to buy a new notebook when the battery breaks?  This is a serious question as I live in Netherlands, where I have had great problems contacting Asus in the past to arrange warranty repairs. Batteries are seldom covered by warranties ( or if these are then it is only for 6 months ).

Screen brightness. You mentioned the brightness could not be turned up full whilst running in Performance mode on battery. Is this a restriction in Windows 8?  I intend to run Ubuntu.

Best regards, S

Tyler12345

I"m confused as to how the Asus G46VW's Graphics and Gaming graphics ratings in the windows 8 experience index is notably lower than other laptops with the same GPU. Is there a reason for this?

ilikepie

Why are the comments not displayed on the main page?

ilikepie

Quote from: Tyler12345 on December 31, 2012, 13:53:14
I"m confused as to how the Asus G46VW's Graphics and Gaming graphics ratings in the windows 8 experience index is notably lower than other laptops with the same GPU. Is there a reason for this?
Perhaps the other notebooks ran a different O/S version? E.g win7 or win8.  I imagine CPU would influence these figures in some shape or form. Are the differences negligible or not?

joerijoe

Just Bought this note book and I love it. I have upgraded the HDD to a 512GB SSD but that is all it needs. Any other setback this computer has is in service to it's great portability!

Millertime

Great review folks, I have been scanning the internet for an update on this laptop and this is the best one out there.

I am looking at purchasing one of these customized through www.hidevolution.com (xoticPC does not yet have them available). I am looking to upgrade the processor to an i7-3740 as well as 16GB Ram and a 256GB SSD - would these amendments likely improve your overall opinion of the laptop? Or alternatively would you suggest I go for the larger G55VW instead? (I am concerned about the weight of the G55VW however...)

Thanks

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: ilikepie on December 31, 2012, 11:58:42

Screen brightness. You mentioned the brightness could not be turned up full whilst running in Performance mode on battery. Is this a restriction in Windows 8?  I intend to run Ubuntu.

Best regards, S

We have measured other Win8 notebooks where maximum brightness does not take a dip at all if running on batteries. The reduction may be manufacturer imposed.

Quote from: Tyler12345 on December 31, 2012, 13:53:14

Windows 8 calculates index scores differently than Windows 7

Quote from: Millertime on December 31, 2012, 19:54:18
Great review folks, I have been scanning the internet for an update on this laptop and this is the best one out there.

I am looking at purchasing one of these customized through www.hidevolution.com (xoticPC does not yet have them available). I am looking to upgrade the processor to an i7-3740 as well as 16GB Ram and a 256GB SSD - would these amendments likely improve your overall opinion of the laptop? Or alternatively would you suggest I go for the larger G55VW instead? (I am concerned about the weight of the G55VW however...)

Thanks

Installing an SSD would absolutely improve our overall impression of the notebook as the slow HDD is a tangible bottleneck. The 14-inch model may be preferable for frequent travelers, otherwise the 15.6-inch model is better suited as a more stationary DTR (larger display and higher resolution).

HH

I would like to know if it is possible to run 3 monitors simultaneously on this notebook.

nissangtr786

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: HH on January 01, 2013, 14:18:33
I would like to know if it is possible to run 3 monitors simultaneously on this notebook.

Yes, this has been tested and the notebook can indeed output to 3 monitors simultaneously. The mobile Kepler family is notable for this feature.

Quote from: nissangtr786 on January 01, 2013, 14:49:59
Where is power consumption reading? Please add.

Power consumption data is our least popular section and so it is no longer mandatory for a number of reviews. Of course, this can always change in the future if there is a large enough demand.

Smith

About same fast as MBP 15 retina.WOW.What a piece of engineering.

joe smieth

Forbiddina

Can i put window 7 on this laptop? cause i like EVERYTHING about it Except windows  >:D 8

Gene

How are you getting 50fps on skyrim? I have this laptop and 30 on medium and that with performance Mod. I :-(

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview