News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Schenker XMG U505 (Clevo P751ZM) Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, January 21, 2015, 04:13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Desktop competition. A desktop processor in a 15-inch notebook, can that work? This is the question for the Schenker XMG U505. We review the high-end device with a GeForce GTX 970M and a 65 Watts CPU.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-U505-Clevo-P751ZM-Notebook-Review.134638.0.html

Andy Kim

Hansung Computer co. sells Clevo laptops in South Korea, and actually users prefer non-Optimus than Optimus.
...and Korean version of it contains Xeon E3-1231 v3!

Excellent Cooling System

It really looks like an excellent cooling system in this notebook, which they've had to implement to deal with the large amount of heat from DESKTOP CPU; however, you can see from the review that there is barely any added performance from that particular desktop processor vs the baseline i7-4710HQ mobile CPU.  If only they would have kept the fantastic cooling system, and then decided to marry it with high end overclockable & unlocked mobile CPUs, then temperatures, overclockability, and performance would have been mighty impressive & useful.  Unless the use of a desktop CPU allows for upgradeability with future generations of CPU then there is no point to having a desktop CPU in this configuration.  Anyone know if this laptop will be upgradeable with future architectural generations of CPU further down the line?  (Actually, this is a good question for the author of this article if you're reading this.)

RidingTheFlow

Its good Clevo still gives a choice without Optimus. When laptop is mostly used with PSU (and disconnected just to transport), it does not matter much - but with direct GPU connectivity you get less frame lag, and more features like G-sync support.
Also I like that the cooling system on it is pretty beefy and solid.

Florian Glaser

@ Excellent Cooling System

The german schenker homepage says that the fifth intel core generation (broadwell) will probably be supported, but they are not quite sure yet.

Excellent Cooling System

Thanks for the answer Florian, for their sake I hope they support Broadwell, couldn't see a reason to get a laptop with desktop CPU otherwise as performance is not wildly different - the only reason would be future upgradeability to later generations, which is not possible with mobile CPUs IIRC.

Art B

Look not all people that buy this laptop use it for gaming 100% of the time, what most people don't say is how much better a desktop CPU is for rendering and running other demanding tasks that a mobile CPU just cannot do very well.
Bravo to CLEVO for actually having the balls to make this laptop happen, even more so with a excellent cooling solution.
Incredible!

Fabio7914

I just bought this pc and I am quite upset. I have bought the configuration with 32 GB RAM to discover that if you put windows 7 home premium it uses only 16! I need it for 3D simulations and I spent more than 2000 pounds. I have also realized that all the softwares included in the cd given with the package do not work because windows 7 is not supported! I cannot use fingerprint and I cannot control the sound nothing at all. They have assembled a pc without advicing that with windows 7 you don't have even the drivers????

Fabio7914

Update on my previous email. I wrote to support that answered me very fast and in a detailed manner. They will probably put an advice on the website to avoid people choosing windows 7 home with 32 GB ram. However is possible to upgrade to windows 8 or free to windows 10 and this will solve the issue. Regarding the drivers they just forgot the cd for windows 7. Drivers can be installed from a link on their website.

I am much more happy now and I am happy I found a so vauable support from Schenker.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview