News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Schenker XMG Core 14 (Clevo NV40MB) laptop review: baby gamer

Started by Redaktion, December 31, 2020, 06:05:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

15- and 17-inch gaming notebooks are a dime a dozen. However, if you want a particularly compact device in the 13- to 14-inch range, the selection is quite limited. This is where Schenker steps in with the XMG Core 14.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-Core-14-Clevo-NV40MB-laptop-review-baby-gamer.512225.0.html

Mikita

I would strongly prefer a 6-core CPU in a "gaming" laptop at the border of 2021. More and more games benefit from 12 threads, and the trend will continue. Ryzen 5 4600U / 4600HS / 4600H would stand better over 2021 for sure.

Dorby

Clevo, Tongfang, Asus and Gigabyte are already working on 8-core Ryzen + RTX 3000 gaming laptops and smaller gaming ultrabooks.

In the meantime, this looks like a great alternative to Razer Blade Stealth 13, for those people who absolutely require an Intel CPU or an integrated Thunderbolt 4 port.
Should mention that the Clevo NV40/41ME-D model also comes with a more powerful GTX 1650 Ti graphics.

aslsdfjk

Quote from: Mikita on December 31, 2020, 06:41:58
I would strongly prefer a 6-core CPU in a "gaming" laptop at the border of 2021. More and more games benefit from 12 threads, and the trend will continue.
This is some total amaterish bs nonsense at the end of 2020. Look any big tech channel Q&A, games don't require CPU to have X cores and Y threads, games want CPU to be powerful enough. Old 4c/8t CPUs aren't bad because they restricted to 4c/8t but because they are old, it's about IPC, cache and many optimizations under the hood, and they have none of that because they are obsolete.
Now this is 14" device, this is the whole uncharted territory. Asus G14 is fantastic laptop but not-so-hot 4600HS is crippled with 1650 GPUs, 4800HS is super hot and doesn't allow 2060 Max-Q to breath. Also, this is really not very exciting to have those extra cores and anemic 2060 with its 6Gb vram. At least Intel gives ur an option with those above 28W TDP CPUs and Thunderbolt. I am looking forward to XMG Media 14 review.

Imglidinhere

Quote from: aslsdfjk on December 31, 2020, 12:12:35
This is some total amaterish bs nonsense at the end of 2020. Look any big tech channel Q&A, games don't require CPU to have X cores and Y threads, games want CPU to be powerful enough. Old 4c/8t CPUs aren't bad because they restricted to 4c/8t but because they are old, it's about IPC, cache and many optimizations under the hood, and they have none of that because they are obsolete.
Now this is 14" device, this is the whole uncharted territory. Asus G14 is fantastic laptop but not-so-hot 4600HS is crippled with 1650 GPUs, 4800HS is super hot and doesn't allow 2060 Max-Q to breath. Also, this is really not very exciting to have those extra cores and anemic 2060 with its 6Gb vram. At least Intel gives ur an option with those above 28W TDP CPUs and Thunderbolt. I am looking forward to XMG Media 14 review.

It's not amateurish in any way. Games are actively using more than 8 threads in nearly every title released today, which gives credence to the idea that having a 12-thread CPU will matter faaar more in due time. Besides, this isn't comparing FX to i7 here, Ryzen is NOT slow in any capacity and only a fool would claim such.

The G14 has the 4900HS by the way, not 4600HS (which doesn't exist). That aside, if you're going to nitpick the AMD laptops out there and not any of the Intel options, why point anything out? Compare Intel's 6-core options to these newer 11th gen processors and let's actually go. Thing is, you CAN compare apples to apples because if you're going to start pairing up processors like the one in the Schenker notebook with 1650s and full power 6-core options like the 10750H with the same GPU, you SHOULD compare them head to head. If one has a substantially lower framerate than the other, that needs to be known to make a well thought-out and well researched purchase.

It's quite important in all actuality, given you can't replace any of these CPUs like you used to in past days.

And, a final note, stop regurgitating the Userbenchmark bias bullcrap everyone hears around the internet. The whole "most games don't use more than 4-cores" is patently absurd. Gamer's Nexus and Hardware Unboxed both tested this, and even Linus did too, and found that older quad core i5s are terrible options for any sort of modern gaming. The vast majority of both indie and AAA-titles all absolutely will eat up every thread a R5 3600 can offer. I can tell you that much. World War Z actively pushes my CPU to 90% utilization for one. MechWarrior 5 pushes well into the 70% range at times. Space Engineers pushes well past 50% every now and then, and that's a few games that I play day in and day out.

The era of PCs needing only a quad core for gaming is GONE. It's not 2015 anymore. Wake up and move on already.

aslkjd

Quote from: Imglidinhere on December 31, 2020, 22:22:33
The G14 has the 4900HS by the way, not 4600HS (which doesn't exist). That aside,
Summarizes everything written) Try to put a little effort into research and reading. Everything has already been tested and re-tested, this reinvention of the wheel and the products of imagination are not needed.

Jordan

list of 3:2 screen laptops with good GPU??
I love 3:2 aspect ratio (for work), but also I'd like to have a little gaming horsepower.  I'm typing this email on a Surface Laptop 3 15 (Ryzen) because I made a bad choice based on "Ryzen GPU built in, wow, must be good at games"  well, that is pretty much a lie (at least with this laptop). I should have done more research, but my choice was not totally wrong. this laptop is OK at games, AND has a high resolution 3:2 screen. 
but does anyone know of a better laptop, 3:2 w/ good GPU (even 11th intel would be fine)

Cooly

I have a NV40MB (VAIO FH14) with i7-1165G7 and 1650Ti. Theoretically this combination should be fine for gaming but I notified that its have terrible performance drop when using dGPU. After investigation I found the power limit of the CPU is capped below 15W (attached PSU) when dGPU drawing full power. The clock speed of CPU may reduced to around 1.1~1.2Ghz. The framerate become unplayable at all. Hope the next BIOS release from Clevo will fix this problem

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview