News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

GPD Win 4 handheld PC review: 1080p Ryzen 7 gaming in the palm of your hand

Started by Redaktion, March 15, 2023, 19:05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Inspired by the Sony Playstation Vita and Nintendo Switch, the GPD Win 4 is a significant improvement over the Win 3 in form, function, and especially performance. It essentially carries the power of a modern Intel EVO Ultrabook in a handheld smaller than the Steam Deck.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GPD-Win-4-handheld-PC-review-1080p-Ryzen-7-gaming-in-the-palm-of-your-hand.700543.0.html

confused

I don't understand. How is it that this mobile ryzen APU device is paired with an Intel wifi chipset but not a single ryzen laptop is paired with intel wlan chip, only cheaper mediateks? Did intel only make contracts to force intel wifi chips to only be paired with intel cpu's for laptop OEM's/vendors only and forget about handhelds because they generate insignificant sales volumes? Is that how this happened?

Abc

Wow that is pricy. I know it has a lot of RAM and SSD but those are cheap these days for the OEM so if you're thinking of a similar config to the SteamDeck that is basically 2x the cost for the upgraded Zen 3+ CPU. I think we need to wait for more competition.

Switchman

These portable PC are getting very nice. Still I don't think they can replace my switch yet, as they are too bulky. When they reach the same weight as the switch (400 grams) I'll buy one!

Btuh

Quote from: Abc on March 15, 2023, 23:17:44Wow that is pricy. I know it has a lot of RAM and SSD but those are cheap these days for the OEM so if you're thinking of a similar config to the SteamDeck that is basically 2x the cost for the upgraded Zen 3+ CPU. I think we need to wait for more competition.

Eh not really, compared to other laptops. The 6800u is a pricy chip. The steam deck's cpu isn't good and is weaker than an i3 1215u. The gpu though is a bit better.

asdfghjk

Quote from: Abc on March 15, 2023, 23:17:44Wow that is pricy. I know it has a lot of RAM and SSD but those are cheap these days for the OEM so if you're thinking of a similar config to the SteamDeck that is basically 2x the cost for the upgraded Zen 3+ CPU. I think we need to wait for more competition.

no duh it's going to be pricy, Valve has Steam to subsidize the Deck. GPD has to turn a profit on the initial sale of the device. Also GPD isn't just paying for an APU, RAM and SSD they're paying for a custom Mobo the tooling for it a cutting edge APU which if you had looked into it has a more powerful GPU 12 cu compared to the SD 8 and more powerful CPU with Zen3+ and 7 cores compared to the SD 4 cores on Zen 2. they're also paying for custom chassis with a complex keyboard mechanism with tooling to go with it. not to mention all the R&D they had to pay for up front.

Leandro

I have Win Max 2 (also UMPC with 6800U with Intel AX210). Man, I have to say to you, the hardware support is amazing. I installed OpenBSD with all glory of Wifi, Dual Monitor Setup, gamepad and touchpad works out-of-the-box.

If Lenovo or Dell d sell similar notebook, old thinkpads onwers should buy them.

Tobby

Steveyell

Seems like a completely irrelevant review, without detailed comparison with the Steam Deck, which is half the price for the middle configuration, has significantly better UI and configuration support for gaming, and now the go to for mobile pc gaming

devwild

Quote from: asdfghjk on March 16, 2023, 15:21:12

no duh it's going to be pricy, Valve has Steam to subsidize the Deck. GPD has to turn a profit on the initial sale of the device. Also GPD isn't just paying for an APU, RAM and SSD they're paying for a custom Mobo the tooling for it a cutting edge APU which if you had looked into it has a more powerful GPU 12 cu compared to the SD 8 and more powerful CPU with Zen3+ and 7 cores compared to the SD 4 cores on Zen 2. they're also paying for custom chassis with a complex keyboard mechanism with tooling to go with it. not to mention all the R&D they had to pay for up front.

Can confirm, as someone who has now had time with both, the Win 4 is a FAR better performer on Windows than the Steam Deck. In a much, much smaller device that is way easier to shove in a bag. So if you are looking at it as a computing device, not just as a gaming machine, the Win 4 makes a lot more sense (and is more usable for casual OS use without accessories thanks to the keyboard - the Steam Deck's on screen keyboard in Steam OS as well as Windows 11's on screen keyboard are HORRIBLE to use.)

If gaming is your focus, your main game store is Steam, and you want the best possible experience, size be damned, the Steam Deck is still a much better device though. GPD used a crappy controller for the back buttons that makes it impossible to use them as normal buttons even, same as with the Win Max 2 and Win 3. Compare that to the Steam Deck which allows you to fully customize the behavior of every button on the device, plus amazing functionality they've added to the touch pads for deep, custom menus. The cost in FPS is worth having better controls if the size is not an issue for you, where on the Win 4 if you want to sit down for some hardcore gaming, you might want an extra Elite or 8Bitdo controller in your bag to have better comfort, customizations and back paddle options.

It's a bit of a toss up for me at the moment because honestly - the Deck is so big that the Win 4 and a controller are as easy to pack for a trip as the deck is - and I might want that controller for playing from a couch anyways.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview