News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Noctua NH-U9S, NH-D9L and NH-La9-AM5 review: Three powerful air coolers for economical CPUs

Started by Redaktion, March 29, 2023, 00:15:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Noctua offer a wide portfolio of high-performance air coolers and have been regarded as a top brand for years when it comes to the topic of air cooling. In this short review, we have taken a closer look at the Noctua NH-U9S, the NH-D9L and the NH-La9-AM5, which can be fitted into many cases thanks to their size. Additionally, we have tested whether the three test subjects could tame an AMD Ryzen 5 7600X.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Noctua-NH-U9S-NH-D9L-and-NH-La9-AM5-review-Three-powerful-air-coolers-for-economical-CPUs.704006.0.html

J Draper

ArsLoginName

I agree with J. Draper. Not much of a review. Further, the conclusion from looking at the Prime 95 stress test at what I am assuming is 142 W shows that none of these coolers, including ones with 140 mm fans, can cool this entry level processor. Other results such as CB R23 and wPrime 1024m show < 2% difference between a 140 mm cooler and the low profile cooler. These results suggest that it doesn't matter which of these coolers you buy. If Notebookcheck's wants to pay me, I'll be more than happy to run these coolers through a CB R23 test at different TDP's/processor temps as I did for my 7900X and NH-U9S. Search for 'Dragon range nay be more powerful than M1 at same power' on Reddit. Graph at bottom of post. It will generate an informative graph of score - power - temperature scaling.

ArsLoginName

Quote from: J Draper on March 29, 2023, 00:33:55Is this supposed to be a review? There's literally no useful comparative information here.

In my haste to post, I overlooked that the Prime95 screenshots and graph are listed at 88 W CPU package power. But these results make it worse because they show that all of the coolers can't cool this processor even at these low power levels because the processor is at the thermal limit of 95 C with all of the coolers. This doesn't agree with the numerous other results from other review sites. Doesn't make sense.

not_anton

I had an NH-U9S on Ryzen 3600. It handled 140W of power with little noise, and did not take all the space inside the computer. Very nice cooler for regular builds.

Fast Turtle

I'd love to see some testing with an NH-C14S unit. Note it's a very large cooler but well worth the purchase if you have an R5 3600XT that's over clocked as I do. It also fits into a 4u Server case, which was important.

ArsLoginName

Quote from: not_anton on March 29, 2023, 14:57:49I had an NH-U9S on Ryzen 3600. It handled 140W of power with little noise, and did not take all the space inside the computer. Very nice cooler for regular builds.

I agree with you and we seem to have similar experiences with the NH-U9S. I observed 75 C at a CPU package power of 125 W with the NH-U9S on a 7900X despite its thicker IHS. So surely the NH-U9S should be able to cool an 88 W 7600X less than 95 C.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview