News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ACH review: Ryzen 5000 laptop with large 120 Hz LCD

Started by Redaktion, September 04, 2021, 23:42:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ACH might be the result of a combination of the trends towards 16:10 displays and AMD processors. The multimedia laptop stands out with its large, high-resolution 120 Hz LCD in a less wide format and with its fast Ryzen 5000H CPUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-5-Pro-16ACH-review-Ryzen-5000-laptop-with-large-120-Hz-LCD.558244.0.html

Hanzzz

There is something wrong with your measurements. In the last few months for some laptops you claim that they have the screen with PWM but all the other reviewers on the Internet for the same laptops have shown that there was no PWM present.

What is wrong with your measurements?

Bennn

Thanks for the review!
NVMe PCIe 3.0 - limitation of the motherboard slot? Does the laptop support decent PCIe 4.0 speeds as well?

Anonym

Quote from: Bennn on September 05, 2021, 08:16:42
Thanks for the review!
NVMe PCIe 3.0 - limitation of the motherboard slot? Does the laptop support decent PCIe 4.0 speeds as well?
The limitation comes from AMD that does not support PCIe 4.0 in their mobile lineup. However, next year's models should already have PCIe 4.0 and USB 4.

Jiří Lád

Does it really have HDMI 2.0 or 1.4b psref.lenovo.com/Product/IdeaPad_5_Pro_16ACH6?ViewSpec=true

So no 4K at 60hz via HDMI port?
USB-C can be used for it but without hub no fast usb remains...right?

Kelly Anderson

I bought one from newegg for ~$1230.  The shipping box showed it came from CostCo.  Mine is 16G memory and uses the Radeon integrated graphics (this is an advantage for me using Linux - no goofy Nvidia drivers required).  Other than having to use and out of tree linux driver for the Realtek rtw89 wifi adapter it's smooth sailing on Linux. You can get the driver from github lwfinger rtw89.  Wifi is behaving quite nicely and is fast.

NikoB

Quote from: Jiří Lád on September 06, 2021, 22:46:01
Does it really have HDMI 2.0 or 1.4b psref.lenovo.com/Product/IdeaPad_5_Pro_16ACH6?ViewSpec=true

So no 4K at 60hz via HDMI port?
USB-C can be used for it but without hub no fast usb remains...right?
Hi,
all AMD from Zen have native HDMI 2.0b, Lenovo's martetologists simply lie, as in other series.

If you need TB3.0 (aka TB4.0 / USB4.0) and HDMI 2.1 ports, then it is better to take with Intell.

Note, the 11400H is about 12-15% slower than the 5600H, but it has TB4.0 / USB4.0 and apparently HDMI 2.1. And already the 11800H is in no way inferior to the 5800/5900H, but it also has all of the above. In short, AMD, everything, was blown away.

Moreover, it became extremely disgraceful in 2021 with the supply of 5400U/5600U/5800U(true Zen3 core) for business series of laptops - they are practically nowhere to be found. Even HP, Lenovo, and even more so, is out of stock everywhere, when it's already autumn 2021 and everyone is already waiting for the 6xxx series. AMD has become a virtual "producer". To uninformed people, brake obsolete Zen2+ core (5300U/5500U/5700U) are sold under the 5xxx series sign.

At the moment, Intel absolutely wins in fighting for R7 vs i7 sector with a devastating AMD score. Having the same performance as AMD chips (singlecore/multicore) with a much larger set of features..

NikoB

And at the expense of this series - it's some kind of squalor.
Funny unsoldered pitiful 16GB (smartphones have the same) instead of 32GB (or 2 slots) and with 8 cores on board. What the hell is this "Pro" series if you run out of memory in the office when you try to run a couple of virtual machines? After all, in reality, no more than 13GB is available there at the start of the W10 (not to mention the W11). It's just a shame to solder 16GB. In 2021, you need to solder at least 32GB. They cost even $150 at retail. It's ridiculous to save on 16GB in the starter package. Lenovo trivia. Given that Intel processors support a maximum of 128GB, and AMD 64. And instead we get a measly 16GB without the possibility of replacement, when I had so much mem in the Asus N550JK with i7 4700HQ in 2016 (having the same metal body and 100% sRGB and and at the same time many times more cool sound from the speakers and a complete "out of the box" subwoofer with a separate connector). And at the same time I can easy install 32GB in the my 2014 model. Think how ridiculous it is compared to the "newest" Lenovo 2021 model ...

The screen is also not impressive in contrast, to slow by response (it not true 120Hz, it true 60-70Hz really) and this series clearly needs to be bought carefully, taking into account the sensitivity of the eyes to flicker from PWM.

NikoB

Quote from: Kelly Anderson on September 15, 2021, 17:40:33
I bought one from newegg for ~$1230.  The shipping box showed it came from CostCo.  Mine is 16G memory and uses the Radeon integrated graphics (this is an advantage for me using Linux - no goofy Nvidia drivers required).  Other than having to use and out of tree linux driver for the Realtek rtw89 wifi adapter it's smooth sailing on Linux. You can get the driver from github lwfinger rtw89.  Wifi is behaving quite nicely and is fast.
Costco positions itself as "what we have is cheaper than our competitors", but in my country your version but without OS costs only $950, while we have a sales tax of as much as 20%, and you have a maximum of 11.5% and even then not in all states. Something your "cheap" Costco is clearly fattening at the expense of customers and bred you.

Our customers even for $950 with the same model are unhappy - they write they come across defective screens with broken dots, as in Legion 7 ...

And what is interesting, reviewers write that coolers almost never stop, and buyers write that, on the contrary, they turn on only after 90C. Who to believe?

Wi-Fi from the filthy Realtek (if it comes across) is better to immediately replace it with Intel AX210.

Christian3554

WildaCZ

Have you or anyone who has this laptop made the USB-C docking function work? I have 2 monitors with USB-C docking and this laptop only says "your display connection might be limited" on both of them and doesn't display anything at all. I even exchanged the laptop but the issue persists across Windows 10, Windows 11, different versions of AMD drivers etc. I even took it to Lenovo certified service center and they confirmed it doesn't work with their hardware either.

Adam11111

Description of fans is no longer true. Current version of Ideapad 5 Pro runs fans constantly in idle.
I have tried everything to shut them down. Lowering power profile, turning off cpu boost do nothing.
This laptop is almost never fully quiet.

David7465

Quote from: Adam11111 on July 26, 2022, 10:34:04Description of fans is no longer true. Current version of Ideapad 5 Pro runs fans constantly in idle.
I have tried everything to shut them down. Lowering power profile, turning off cpu boost do nothing.
This laptop is almost never fully quiet.
Not true, received my laptop 4 days ago. I have the same exact model as in the review - except with a 5600h, fans never come on with light usage (watching videos, browsing, text editing). Something must be running in the background for you. All around great laptop.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview