News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review GeForce GTX 680M vs. Radeon HD 7970M

Started by Redaktion, July 01, 2012, 22:40:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnarøk

Limited income and Alienware? Sorry, but that does not really fit together, does it.
If there were working drivers for the 7970m, this card would be the best value/performance one.
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken! Denke nie, denn wenn du denkst du denkst, dann denkst du nur du denkst, gedacht doch hast du nie!

M1k3

300-500 dollars extra for the slight increase in performance for the 680M is
not worth it, so being on a limited budget when thinking logically between
such minor gains does make sense, since it could seem like a waste to
upgrade unless you want the 3D vision, that could justify the 300+ increase
on a somewhat limited budget... "it's got to truly be worth it" IMO I will
wait until the 2013 GPU cards are released and save my money for a possible
compatibility, knowing ill get a truly noticeable increase justifying my
somewhat limited buying was worth the money and not just a comparable
impulse buy novelty. Make sense now?

Robert

In only one thing nVidia is better than AMD and it is marketing.. at the beginning they said 680m is something like 30% higher than 7970m and everybody was like WOW nerds... Then they said no no its only 14%, and now if you see 15 games the 10 are won by 7970m at ultra settings..
Then nVidia or nVidia fanboys will start to talk about extra futures in 680m like 120Hz, 3D, Physics which I bet no one uses those futures because are useless..
In the other hand AMD graphics cards as it known are better for video/photo editing and design but no one admit those are the futures which can be more useful than 120 Hz, 3D and Physics...
Isn't that marketing? or its only the fanboys?

Shawn

Why doesn't anybody include hardware assisted video encoding/decoding into performance tests?
Do people not upload you tube videos? Or record and save off best gaming sessions?
Why is hardware assisted video encoding/decoding never brought up? In performance tests and discussions?
Is it a NSA issue? Am I going to get a knock on my door with NDAA letter and be disappeared?

Manzanita

Ich glaube...it depends on the kind of game you're going to play, and don't forget the processor and ram. Well.... keine Ahnung.

kmwaziri

@Florian: Can you please update this review with the latest drivers now?? Now that both the cards have matured (along with their drivers) we'll know the REAL king of mobile GPUs in terms of gaming. Power efficiency ofcourse will be the same, that I know.

@Andrew: Dont know if you've bought your laptop yet or not, but to answer you, YES driver updates "can" fix Enduro but even when it is fixed, it wont be nowhere near as good as Optimus. I'm in favor of AMD too but fact remains, Enduro will take its time to match optimus, maybe in the next AMD flagship.

Florian Glaser

Maybe with the final catalyst 12.11 (the beta-driver still has some issues). Unfortunately, i have no time for a big comparison at the moment.

Ray van der Heij

@Florian:
I too would love to see the results 12.11 would yield and I'll gladly wait for them.
With the current results I have just a single question. Are Alienware results with Enduro enabled or with Enduro forced off? When Enduro is enabled in these benches then wouldn't the results be higher for Alienware with Enduro forced off? (something AW can do, but the Clevo's can't).

Florian Glaser

Maybe we can do a little review around christmas, when AMD improved the DX-9-performance too (the improvements mainly concern DX-10- and DX-11-games at the moment). The Alienware-results in our database are from the non-endruo-mode. I think this is mentioned in the review.

zachary

Please note that i'm not an expert at graphics cards so i don't really know that much. :)
How come that in some of the videos I've seen regarding the GeForce GTX 680M and Radeon HD 7970M on the Alienware Mx18 the 680M seems to be performing at the same level as a  Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M For example on Battlefield 3 Multiplayer. This leads me to the question can a single GTX 680M perform at comparable levels w/ a Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M . I'm planning on buying a Alienware since you can disable Enduro and i'm having a hard time choosing between the SINGLE 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - SLI® and Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M.

Kyle

Please note that i'm not an expert at graphics cards so i don't really know that much. :)
How come that in some of the videos I've seen regarding the GeForce GTX 680M and Radeon HD 7970M on the Alienware Mx18 the 680M seems to be performing at the same level as a  Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M For example on Battlefield 3 Multiplayer. This leads me to the question can a single GTX 680M perform at comparable levels w/ a Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M . I'm planning on buying a Alienware since you can disable Enduro and i'm having a hard time choosing between the SINGLE 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - SLI® and Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M.

Fran

Can anyone recommend a good software monitor for a GTX 680M? HWMonitor shows me everything except the GPU temp. Thanks!

MAIKILL

i was 4 months ready stuff to chose the bets laptop/gpu with the best price/performance and i go for the clevo p370em with the 7970m that dont have enduro problems because it dont have intel gpu to swith, and im realy happy with it :D, i remember in the beginning most of people talking badly about the 7970m because of the enduro problem, but give 2 times more money (680m) for what? just dont have drivers problem, YOU WANT A GAMING LAPTOP AND I READ GUYS SAYING OHHH THE 680M HAVE MORE BATTERY LIFE AND LESS HEAT AND LESS CONSUMES OF ELECT AND YOU PAY THE DOUBLE FOR HAVE JUST THAT? THE BENCHMARKS IN GAMES IN THIS REVIEW SHOWS THAT THE AMD IS BETTER THAN 680M OVER!!!! AND HE HAVE THE ENDURO PROBLEMS LOOOOOOOOL, HONESTLY I THINK IS SO STUPID THE WASTE OF MONEY IN THE 680M... SO EACH ONE HAVE A BRAIN TO THINK SO MAKE YOUR CHOICE ;)

Chuck

Hi! What should I buy? Thanks!  :)

P.S. I can afford the 680M, but want to know what do you think! It is for Crysis 3.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview