News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Asus G55VW-S1020V Notebook

Started by Redaktion, June 01, 2012, 10:56:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Ivy Bridge meets Kepler. The latest revision of Asus' popular 15.6-inch Republic of Gamers laptop, now known as the G55VW, is large and heavy enough to belong in the desktop replacement category. However, this tradeoff in weight is compensated by an also large and very efficient cooling solution.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G55VW-S1020V-Notebook.74851.0.html

warpspire

I'm a satisfied owner of a G74SX, and always a bit surpised to see your 3dMark 11 scores for the 560M to be in the 1800 score range. Mine reacher over 2200 by default, and when overclocked (which is a possibility because of the great cooling system) it can be easily bumped up over 2500. While the 660M with oc would beat this score, the 192-bit 560M doesn't seem to lag so much behind.

Morvar

A truly interesting review. I like the heavy cooling design, I wouldn't mind if the weight would be even 10kg. And also the fullhd matte screen at this size is great. But, no optimus.. that was a dealbreaker for me. Are there any similar laptoos available or coming soon from asus or anyone? My previous asus 1215n lasted for 7 hours and I wouldn't like to go below that anymore.

CGNMUC

Quote from: warpspire on June 02, 2012, 14:46:58
I'm a satisfied owner of a G74SX, and always a bit surpised to see your 3dMark 11 scores for the 560M to be in the 1800 score range. Mine reacher over 2200 by default, and when overclocked (which is a possibility because of the great cooling system) it can be easily bumped up over 2500. While the 660M with oc would beat this score, the 192-bit 560M doesn't seem to lag so much behind.

Hi,

We here back in Germany had a second G55 with the 660M inside. This system reached 2540 in the overall score.

Even if you don't speak German: http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Asus-G55VW-S1073V-Notebook.75112.0.html

Kind regards

Jojo Kracko

Really should have included Optimus.  Very disappointed at the loss of the second drive bay.  And at the loss of the wider numpad zero key.

Kudos for using a matte finish screen though.

Looks like i have to step up to a G75.  Problem is they don't make the version I want yet, with Optimus, a GTX680M, and the excellent matte screen (but without 3D).

Fernando Garci-Crespo

Looks like the replacement for my N53SV has finally arrived.  >:D

Carter C

Just purchased A G55VW. A very attractive price point indeed. Looking forward to seeing what this bad boy can do.

antonwilter

Niko

The dimensions appear to be incorrect. I believe they are 20-51 x 384 x 299.

Allen.Ngo

@Niko

Thank you, the reviewer has now made the corrections.

WROL

Quote from: antonwilter on June 08, 2012, 05:25:53
please review lenovo y580 pretty please  :-\
Yes please, I would love to see comparison with Lenovo Y580 to Asus G55VW.
I can't decide which one to buy :/

Thank you for your amazing reviews ;)

castlecombe

Carter C

Just recently purchased a g55vw. I must say, the performance is something to behold. THe new ivy bridge processors do have a notable performance increase over the previous generation of I7 chips. THe gtx 660m is also quite impressive. Not the best graphics card out there, however, i can run games such as Crysis, Borderlands, COD, and Battlefield BC2 at max settings with a stable high framerate.So much for xbox gaming...The look and feel of the laptop is amazing. Awesome design meets performance. One key factor that puts this laptop above others I have previously owned is the cooling system. WIth the large rear vents, this computer stays extremely cool even with extended use at high performance levels. No more burning lap syndrome. Thanks for the great review! It certainly went a long way in helping decide on the right computer for me. Overall I am extremely impressed with the system and would highly recommend this computer. Especially to those who want a Mac xD.

Carter C

Quote from: antonwilter on June 08, 2012, 05:25:53
please review lenovo y580 pretty please  :-\
Also, I have a y580.
Wasnt bad but was lacking the finish and features that the asus g55vw offers. As with previous lenovo systems, they do not have the best cooling system, therefore they reach a somewhat uncomfortable temperature. I guess the tradeoff to that would be the smaller platform size. The screen also seems to be of a lower quality, as well as other components such as the keyboard and the casing. The rubberized casing on the asus certainly takes the cake. The lenovo is still a fast computer, but it lacks the design features that make it a stellar computer. It esentially just boils down to your preference. If you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend going to a local Best Buy or similar retailer and getting a hands on look. They have similar models to both the G55vw and the Y580 so you can really get a feel of the layout and how everything comes together. Then make your decision. In the end I still prefer the ASUS. Hope it helps.

Rampig

if technically capable, it's possible to DIY upgrade the CPU & GPU in the future

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview