News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo IdeaPad Y50 Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, July 13, 2014, 08:18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Entry price, high-end gaming. Lenovo's latest Y Series has the best of both worlds: Sleek, thin looks with exceptional performance for a very fair starting price of $1150. Though the notebook is marketed as an entry-level portable gaming machine, we believe even serious gamers should take a look at what the new Y50 has to offer.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y50-Notebook-Review.120215.0.html

vaga

Notebookcheck: there are multiple screen options available for this laptop. There is the matte FHD one you reviewed, a glossy FHD touch panel, and a glossy UHD 4k Samsung PLS panel

l

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: vaga on July 13, 2014, 17:13:51
Notebookcheck: there are multiple screen options available for this laptop. There is the matte FHD one you reviewed, a glossy FHD touch panel, and a glossy UHD 4k Samsung PLS panel

added notes about the Y50 UHD models, thanks. Lenovo lists them as a separate series from the standard Y50 models.

it's likely that we'll have a review update with the UHD models in the near future, as well as the Y40.

Buk Lau

"The Y50 is cooled by two system fans - one small fan for the CPU and one slightly larger size for the GPU - each with its own heat sink."

both cpu and gpu are shared by the two fans, and there's only one heat sink. CPU's heat pipe is also shared with the gpu. GPU is covered by both heat pipes

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: Buk Lau on July 14, 2014, 00:50:55

both cpu and gpu are shared by the two fans, and there's only one heat sink. CPU's heat pipe is also shared with the gpu. GPU is covered by both heat pipes

your description is certainly more accurate. Thanks

Bruno150

I have one and have found extremely easy to replace the poor display by a better one myself (a glossy AUO B156HAN01 .2) .
I strongly encourage everyone getting a Y50 FHD to do the same, there is a youtube video very well put together that explains step by step how to do this (http://youtu.be/7BqVuCKew1E). Note - I am not in the repair business or anything like that - just your average user.

I live in the UK and got the laptop via ebay from the US, and including screen replacement (new one 60 pounds online) the result remains unbeatable value for the spec - compared to the competition. Only Clevo laptops come close, but are less appealing to me. extremely happy with it.

Gio

I was the owner of a Y500 and used it for a little bit over a year. Considering the keyboard is still kept the same, let me say this:
If you're planning on using it a lot (gaming), which I assume, prepare to have your keys replaced. My shift, W,A,S,D,C keys were all worn down. With that I mean the paint was letting loose. Some keys were completely gone, while others were starting to get bad as well. This happened before a year time.

ravisdavis

For those not wanting to substitute the display, can you provide a link to your display calibration numbers?

ICC File

Quote from: ravisdavis on July 15, 2014, 09:48:35
For those not wanting to substitute the display, can you provide a link to your display calibration numbers?

In order to calibrate your display you need to calibrated ICC File that used - then you install that into your Windows to use their calibration settings.  Do a Ctrl-F search for 'ICC File' on that page where the laptop is reviewed - that's the file you want to download & use.

RaZeR

You said Surface temperatures could be a problem...
But does it have an impact on gaming preformance?
I have an acer notebook which can get hot up to 95+ °C in some games and it would often cause serious stuttering.
I'm really considering on buying the Lenovo y50 and I hope it doesn't have problems of this kind...

Aleksi

Wrong, both the video card 860m 2gb/4gb on the Lenovo y50 - Maxwell.

Aleksi

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/07/28/488.png
Proof of 4gb maxwell.

Nemesis

Lenovo said they are ONLY suing maxwell architecture GPU's. Also I bought the model with 4GB VRAM and it is the GM107 version meaning its maxwell

unclewebb

Disabling Intel Turbo Boost when it is needed is dishonest.  If a user pays for a 4700HQ, they expect that the CPU will be able to run at its full Intel rated speed which includes Turbo Boost.  Users need to hold Lenovo accountable by shopping elsewhere or returning their Y50.  The Lenovo Y510P had the exact same performance killing "feature" which has never been fixed.  Both models suffer from completely inadequate cooling when you try to run them at their full Intel rated speed. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview